Thursday, September 2, 2010

Day 44 - Exit Glacier View and Nature Trails

Exit Glacier
What a busy day! Today was open house for our school which for teachers generally means staying at work until 7:00 pm. I was so hungry that I had canned chili provided by the PTSA, a granola bar and a can of pineapple at home before quickly heading out for a hike. I'd saved the Exit Glacier Trails for this occasion, knowing I need something shorter (2.5 miles) and easily accessible. For me it's important to walk these trails at least once a summer due to the rapid recession of the glacier. The trail is different each year because of melting. The washout plain has really changed too. Ten years ago I remember taking the girls to the glacier base. They swam in little kettle holes full of crystal clear water that had warmed from the black rocks absorbing the hot sun. Today the plain is almost completely flat with several brands of river flowing of the glacier. A coyote met me on the trail, then proceeded to sit down in the bushes a tiny bit off the trail. I tried to take his picture but he blended in so much with the surroundings that I could find him in the view finder of the camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment