Saturday, September 4, 2010

Day 46 - 4th of July Beach

4th of July Beach

Boats on the hard.
A lagoon looking out Resurrection Bay
I woke up this morning feeling sick. There's been a soar throat, slight fever going around and being a teacher I'm constantly exposed. Unfortunately this is the start of Labor Day weekend (3 days) and I had all kinds of big plans for the end of my 50 day hike challenge. May be the weather will spruce up a bit and I'll get over the cold fast so that backpacking sounds fun rather than a chore. So - instead of climbing a mountain or hiking to a cabin, I opted to walk through the ship dry dock area to 4th of July Beach and back. It's a great little place with lots of gravel roads leading nowhere. The prison is out that way so I suppose some of those roads have been security blocked. May be if the prison wasn't there then there might be some hiking trails into the glaciers behind.

1 comment:

  1. hope you feel better! Why is everyone so secret in Seward? I think its kind of weird, all these secret trails...It seems like Seward would have a much more vibrant community of people who want to preserve and enjoy these absoblutely gorgeous hiking spots...somebody is going to do this and not do a good job...ever thought about writing a guide book? i think it would go over really well.

    ReplyDelete