Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Introduction

Hi - my name is MaryLynn and I am turning 50 years old - wow, this year on September 8th! In anticipation of this huge life event, I've decided to hike a different trail each day for 50 days leading into my actual birthday celebration. I live in the pleasingly aesthetic and unusually wet community of Seward, Alaska. There are several world class trails here but what most people don't know is how many extremely good and varied trails exist in this tiny little fishing/tourist town. As a matter of fact many trails aren't publicized in any of the Alaska hiking trail books- but I won't be giving away their locations either. You'll have to live here before anyone will tell you where these trail heads are located.
I was a long distance runner in high school and college when high mileage was the norm. At this point I have no cartilage left in either knee (stage IV chondromalacia) and am kind of just waiting for a complete breakdown before having them replaced. Needless to say this little adventure will be challenging on the downhills for my creaking and crying knees. In addition I have three teenage daughters, one of which will start college this fall and two others that I feel absolutely need their number one fan at their high school cross-country running races. August 23rd I start work again as an elementary teacher and then there is all the life obstacles like dentist appointments and grocery shopping that may hamper my progress. So many of my hikes will be close to home, though I hope to squeeze in a few challenging long hikes as well.
What I hope to gain from the 50 hike challenge is adventure. I love the outdoors and physical activity but sometimes the weather and day-to-day activities keep me inside. It would be great to lose a few pounds and gain a few more muscles. And - last but not least, I sure hope friends and family join me for the hikes. Please call and let's go hiking!
The rules:
  • I will start hiking on July 21st rain or shine and travel a different trail each day for 50 days.
  • Most the trails will be in the Seward - Kenai area which will include Girdwood out to Northwestern Glacier. There is a chance that we travel to Denali Nat'l Park for a family trip before Allison leaves for college.
  • Hikes can be any distance.
  • Pictures will be posted showing the trail start and finish.
  • Hiking will be fun even in the wind and rain.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Marylynn,
    What a great idea! Letty told me about your blog. Great photos, great hikes. Sorry I could not join you on the backpack trip. I'll keep up with your posts ... armchair hiking for me!

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete