Friday, August 13, 2010

Day 23 - Grant Lake

Grant in the background.

Bob and I went to Grant Lake today, another hike that I've wanted to try for many years. I was expected something similar to Vaught Lake - marshes, bogs, flat ground around the beaches - but I was wrong. Grant Lake is one of the areas that Homer Electric is considering damning for hydro-electricity but many people are in opposition. Now I can understand why; it is a beautiful, huge oasis of aqua behind steep, glacier mountains with wild, forested beaches and a spit in the middle. Lots of avalanches shoots feed down into the water - gorgeous. There were also great blue berries. May be that is why  it is kind of a secret place. I think we'll try skiing in there on the miner's roads this winter.

1 comment:

  1. Wow have not been up to grant lake in 4evr and last time needed a canoe to access it. So how did you get to the trail head?

    ReplyDelete