Monday, August 23, 2010

Day 34 - Marathon Creek

Forgot the camera again after a harried day planning, scheduling and generally freaking-out getting ready for the first day of school with students. Generally I should have worked every day this summer to be prepared for a new school year. The day was absolutely perfect too with temps in the mid-60's, sun and calm winds. My yen-yang surfaced with the yearn to stop everything and get outside while my practical side told me to stay inside and work, work, work.  Compromising - later in the evening Bob and I went up to Marathon Creek and followed the old road up to a point where you'd need to forge the overflowing white water stream (really a river at this point). Midway through there is a place where avalanches from both sides, one off Marathon Mt. and one off  Bear Mt., collided forming this massive snow bridge over the river. I wish I had the camera to take a picture showing the amount of snow still existing in late August. We just walked across. There is so much water in the creek - it is deep when it should be at it's lowest level. I wonder if we get an early snow with melting rain after wards if Seward will flood.

No comments:

Post a Comment